Suspension Setup

Here we collect all important informations and helps for the motornation.
Weena
Waitress
Waitress

Suspension Setup

Post by Weena »

Suspension Setup for Cars

With the standard setup of Cars often comes under steering. Something I dont like and you probably also dont enjoy. So what can we do about it?

An easy way is to change Camber in the front. But you have to be careful not to over do it. Because you maybe get to much over steer. You can balance this with also increasing camber in the back.

Slider to the left means Negative means more grip in the corner.

Another way to get more over steer is to stiffen the back of the car. Make the back suspension harder.

If you like to drift. You wont even more over steer. Also you need less grip in the back. The weird thing is. The harder the suspension. The less grip you have. You make the suspension harder and gain control over the car. Not to much bouncing around. But also you loose the connection with the tarmac when springs get to hard.

So for drift. Make the back really hard. Also increase the ARB "Anti roll bar" in the back. Slider to the right is always harder for any suspension.

Try not to fiddle around with the Tyre grip levels. Only do this if everything else dose not work. Also "down force" lowering in the back and changing "brake balance" I do not recommend. It makes the car unpredictable.

Here is a detailed explanation of what every setting does. Source

Traction Control - Limits wheel spin under throttle. Less - allows the tires to lose grip more frequently.

ABS - Allows the tire to rotate under hard breaking. Full + will simulate you pressing/depressing the brake pedal. Makes it so you can somewhat steer while fully on the brakes.

ESP - Reduces the cars power in order to gain traction. Think of it like traction control but at the ECU level. More + will limit power on the car in order to maintain traction. End feel is car is slower in corners but less likely to slide.

Slide Help - Counter-steering in drifting. More + helps with maintaining a slide and transitioning into a new one. With less you can transition drifts much faster but greater chance is a *180.

Aero Distribution - Side of the car airflow is pushing down. Different uses here. Less in the front will cause understeer.

Diff Distrib - AWD Cars Which side of the car will have the most power. More + to the rear allows for oversteering.

Gearbox - Gear Ratio. More + will give you more top speed but reduced acceleration. Less - Will have you slapping through gears quicker but reduces top speed.

Tire Grip Front/Rear - Sticky Tires. Play around with these sliders. Reduced front produces understeer. Reduced rear produces oversteer.

Brake Power - Pressure of the pads on the rotor. More + will slow the car down faster but also has a higher chance of locking up the brakes.

Brake Balance - Ratio of front to rear pad pressure. More to the front will cause understeer during braking.

Susp Comp Front/Rear - Upwards travel of the wheel over a bump. More + is stiffer. Higher it is the more likely you will lose initial traction over a bump. Good for TC where there are few bumps.

Susp Reb Front/Rear - Downwards travel the wheel after a bump. Less - will cause the vehicle to be floaty. More + will make the car settle faster.

Susp Geom Camber Front/Rear - Vertical alignment of the wheel to the body of the vehile. Less - results in the top of the wheel more towards the body. More + is the opposite, bottom of the wheel towards the car. Generally, a little less will give you more traction in the corners but less on the straights.

ARB Front/Rear - Anti-Roll Bar. More + allows less body roll. This stiffens the car. Less - will allow the weight transfer but also reduces the reaction to the turn. These can also be used to induce over/under steer.
Luna
Pit Lane Apprentice
Pit Lane Apprentice

Re: Suspension Setup

Post by Luna »

Just found these explanations in this old for me unread thread. Good job and well done, thank you very much for this, it really helped to clear out some question marks from my eyes. And especially now since I have Don's G27 I sure have to spend a little bit time and get used with these pro settings ;)
See you on the road ... and the sea ... and in the air ;) :lol:
The Crew 2 - 06/29/2018

Lunytrickz
High Octane Hero
High Octane Hero

Re: Suspension Setup

Post by Lunytrickz »