finally upgraded my pc... a little

MCO_Sleeper
Racing Rookie
Racing Rookie

finally upgraded my pc... a little

Post by MCO_Sleeper »

edit:i just read this for mistakes, good grief could it be any longer. sorry. i dont feel like picking it apart again :)

I sure am not as up to date as i used to be, my stuff is way behind most of yours. i used to upgrade every year basically, but its been years since i bought anything for my pc, maybe more LOL. i spend a LOT of time on my pc, fair amount of time gaming, and the old gtx 760 has sure been a good workhorse. its run everything i have thrown at it, if at mediocre settings.

but, i finally just bit the bullet and ordered some small upgrades today that i felt i could justify in my budget. i really want to dig myself out of some more debt this year, but i wanted to get more main board memory and dedicated graphics memory for now.

system should be like this when done

-keeping msi gaming board with my i5 4690 (i know its outdated but it slogs along. next upgrade :) )
-upgrading to 16gigs of ram from 8gigs
-upgrading to samsung 860 evo 1TB ssd hard drive. I'll use my 3tb platter as backup and spare storage or install space for lower spec games. i also have a 1TB platter strictly dedicated to duplicating near 800gigs of audio books, music and some pics. next upgrade im buying at least a 2Tb, prob bigger, ssd and using this ssd as my dedicated backup drive. toying with idea of making the 3TB drive an external usb drive.
-upgraded gtx 760 2 gb to msi gaming geeforce gtx 1060 6gb gddr5 vid card. i really thought hard all day about going a little stronger on the vid card, but i figured I'll probably do a whole new build in a year or two from the ground up, so i figured i would save 150 to 300 hundred bucks right now so i could get the ssd. also im not sure if im worried about top of the line graphic card when im still running a ddr3 mainboard and an i-5.

if its too slow i can go out and hot rod around in the camaro LOL.
There are two kinds of pedestrians, the quick...and the dead.
LCDDOG
Watchdog
Watchdog

Re: finally upgraded my pc... a little

Post by LCDDOG »

nice, let me give you a little tip for a gpu, get a rtx2060 (costs about 350 usd)
it does better then a 1070ti and only has 3 fps less then a 1080 (impressive card)
MCO_Sleeper
Racing Rookie
Racing Rookie

Post by MCO_Sleeper »

I looked at one, and sorta drooled, but it woulda precluded my other parts as I was trying to strictly limit myself budget wise.
LCDDOG
Watchdog
Watchdog

Post by LCDDOG »

MCO_Sleeper wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:13 am I looked at one, and sorta drooled, but it woulda precluded my other parts as I was trying to strictly limit myself budget wise.
I'm very satisfied with the MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z i bought.
IMO a card that can keep you happy 2 years into the future isnt a bad investment lol

But i understand you have a limited budget, but isnt that 1060 about the same price?
MCO_Sleeper
Racing Rookie
Racing Rookie

Post by MCO_Sleeper »

About 100-150 less depending where you get it. I had some reward or discount so it was in mid $200, no shipping or anything on top.
MCO_Sleeper
Racing Rookie
Racing Rookie

Post by MCO_Sleeper »

All in, I stayed around 500, which was the goal. 250 vid card, 75 memory, 35 on misc stuff like fans, the mounting kit for ssd, and 150 for the ssd.

i was originally over 400 on vid card, it was in my cart lol. i though about it for a while and decided i really wanted to get my first ssd to see how it performed and i wanted that particular ssd because it had so many good reviews and big enough to be my main drive and not full right away. the system memory was next, i could have just kept the 8 gigs and got the bigger card but i just had a certain goal of what i wanted in the pc and i have noticed my memory gets a big short sometimes and i just wanted more. 250 for a card is nothing im so concerned over, it will be a nice boost in performance, and can stay in pc when i build another one, rather than getting pulled then and being 2 years old at the start.

hell most of games i play are years old already, like sto or space engineers or an occasional bout with car mechanic sim or ats, but nothing with earth shattering graphics LOL.
LCDDOG
Watchdog
Watchdog

Post by LCDDOG »

yeah, doubling your memory to 16gb is making the biggest difference in your
current upgrade, nowadays you actually need about 16 gb to keep a smooth running system fo'sho...

adding a ssd as boot drive will make a ton of difference too (specially in boot up times)
and im currently running most games of a ssd, would love to change out all my drives
for ssd's but a 2tb ssd still costs about 450 euro here (compared to a 1tb that costs 100 euro lol) so holding off untill the get cheaper...

STO (yes i play it too lol) isnt graphics demanding at all and sometimes fun to play
(already got maxed out toons and did all missions etc...)
now i constantly need new docking spaces for my 1 of a kind ships...
MCO_Sleeper
Racing Rookie
Racing Rookie

Post by MCO_Sleeper »

I played super hard for a couple of months after I bought the jem'hadar vanguard pack, I really like the bridge officers for ground stuff. I got 6 or 7 max characters, some are years old, but one I started last year is really my main, he actually did all the story arcs, has epic or very rare lvl15 gear, etc. Got him maxxed on all the reputations to level 6 now, getting to lvl 15 in a lot of research. I had set it aside for quite a while and when I came back last year I had to learn so much new stuff, reputation, research, upgrades, admiralty, etc that I had never seen before it made more sense to start a new guy and make better choices as I levelled up, etc.
LCDDOG
Watchdog
Watchdog

Post by LCDDOG »

every main i have has MK XV gear all across the board, but
this 1 is the godlike toon i have. everything epic MK XV and
a whole fleet of special ships with full set's of consoles on them.
This guy is nearly impossible to kill...
he's also maxed out in crafting, reputation etc...
i also love using the holographic bof's when going down to a planet, they are super tuff.

MCO_Sleeper
Racing Rookie
Racing Rookie

Post by MCO_Sleeper »

Yeah that guy probably way better than mine. I enjoy playing it, throw a little cash at it once in a while, get some upgrades or something. I'm more a casual player with bouts of grinding lol.

Im in middle of cloning my hard drive, so I can't show. I'm a little bit thematic with the jem'hadar, I got a Klingon that isn't super kitted out but he flies that sorta pirate looking flight carrier. It's a bit thin, but it's fun to fly, wanted to use the frigate fighter bays.

Main is using the arbiter t6 battlecruiser, taking advantage of firing rate, critical chance, critical damage bonuses everywhere. Tough little ship, fun to just pile in with. Good enough to wax the tfos when I play, been slacking last few weeks.