Experience wanted...

Luna
Pit Lane Apprentice
Pit Lane Apprentice

Experience wanted...

Post by Luna »

With a tool downloaded from some computer magazin's website (must have been chip.de) I accidentaly downloaded and installed Lavasoft Webcompanion and Lavasoft TCP Service. I deinstalled it immediately after I noticed this, but the uninstall routine didn't remove every part of the software. I didn't care about this for a long time because it didn't interfere what I was doing on my PC.

But now Steam doesn't work anymore since it's last self-update. The client starts but instantly closed again. I already wrote to Steam support and sent them some crash reports and they said this happens because of an old or bad version of LavasoftTCPService.dll, which is one of the parts the uninstaller left in the system.

Now I already tried to remove every little piece of this shitty program manually, I even searched the registry line by line and removed everything regarding Lavasoft TCP Service, and I tried some removal tools and cleaned out about 95% (just a guess ;) ) of all the crap that was left by the uninstaller. But the last 5% are so persistent, I can't get rid of them, no matter what I try :? The main programm parts are gone, the folders are deleted, the service isn't running anymore in Windows and all dll files from the folder windows/system32 are gone. But from somewhere it is still started everytime during Windows start :x

Does anybody have experience with this Lavasoft shit or an idea or a tool that I can try to make the last not findable parts disappear?
See you on the road ... and the sea ... and in the air ;) :lol:
The Crew 2 - 06/29/2018

Don
Grill Cheff
Grill Cheff

Re: Experience wanted...

Post by Don »

Hmmm i think i heard of this program, but i think i never had it installed.
Weena
Waitress
Waitress

Post by Weena »

Hello Luna,

I use regcleaner. I think this program is not free any more. I uploadet an earlier version for you .... http://www.mediafire.com/file/w69i91ee1 ... r.exe/file

An other option is CCleaner for cleaning you registry.

Hope this helps :|
JustBe
Circuit Champion
Circuit Champion

Post by JustBe »

Maybe its to late now, but can you try a system restore point from before you installed that software.

Must admit that I always try to remember to make a restore point before installing any new software.
My boss said you should have been here at 9, I said why, what happened. He was not amused.
Luna
Pit Lane Apprentice
Pit Lane Apprentice

Post by Luna »

Thanx for the old regcleaner version, I'll try this at the weekend.

Unfortunately restore points aren't an option. I don't have any point from before the installation. Usually I don't keep restore points for longer than 3 months because usually nothing older than that doesn't cause trouble if it havn't done for this time period. But the original Lavasoft installation was back in 2015 and the uninstall was at the same day. Bad luck was that the system completely didn't care about the program parts left from the uninstaller, until last week when the Steam support told me about the opposite :(
See you on the road ... and the sea ... and in the air ;) :lol:
The Crew 2 - 06/29/2018

JustBe
Circuit Champion
Circuit Champion

Post by JustBe »

If it still starts with windows have you tried to see whats in the windows startup items., if you are using windows 7.

System Configuration Utility (Windows 7)
Press Win-r . In the "Open:" field, type msconfig and press Enter .
Click the Startup tab.
Uncheck the items you do not want to launch on startup.
Note: ...
When you have finished making your selections, click OK.
In the box that appears, click Restart to restart your computer.
My boss said you should have been here at 9, I said why, what happened. He was not amused.